I-Corps@ ECU Snapshot
In its first, short year, I-Corps @ ECU served 25 teams consisting of faculty, staff, students and/or friends of ECU. Team projects represented STEM disciplines in education, health, nutrition, engineering & environmental sciences, medical simulation and biomedical sciences. Short term outcomes of the teams included:
- Two teams independently merged into a single team and then incorporated their business;
- Two teams have plans to submit SBIR applications;
- One team plans to submit an I-Corps National grant application;
- One team successfully competed against 185 competitors in the NC IDEA pitch competition and won $50,000 in cash plus services in the development of its business; and
- Another team was invited to compete in Texas Christian University’s (TCU) 2018 Values and Ventures® Competition, an international social entrepreneurship pitch competition.
Non-STEM teams were also allowed to participate alongside STEM teams in I-Corps@ ECU, gaining access to valuable program materials and mentor services, though they were ineligible for I-Corps mini-grants. Short term outcomes of these teams included: